So. Very. Good.
- 1lb chicken thigh, skin & bone removed, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 lb shimeji mushrooms
- 4 shallots, minced
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 10 slices galangal
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, bruised
- 2 tbsp fish sauce - 2 limes
- 2 Thai chili pepper (add up to 12 depending on your preferred spice level, but I like to keep it family friendly and even one was a bit much for the girls)
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or make your own)
- Salt to taste (I added 1/2 tsp)
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk (I've been making my own from dried coconut to avoid BPA)
- 8 sprigs cilantro
1. Add chicken broth, lemongrass, shallots, kaffir lime leaves and galangal to a large pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn it down to simmer.
2. When you begin smelling the galangal and lemongrass, you know the flavors are being infused into the broth and you can turn the heat back up to a boil once more to add your chicken thighs. Let boil until chicken is cooked (a few mins).
3. Add the mushrooms, and fish sauce. Cook until mushrooms are slightly opaque and then add coconut milk and turn up the heat.
4. Upon the first signs of boiling, remove from heat. Add Thai chili peppers and juice of the limes.