I love rice pudding of all types, so when I saw this variation with mango made by Ishpreet of @edible_luv I asked if she might share her recipe. So glad I did. My family and I savored its richness and the delicate flavor of cardamom infused creamy rice for several days as this recipe makes a substantial amount:
1 cup Basmati rice
3 green cardamom pods
2 tbsp ghee
one litre full cream
1 cup thinly sliced almonds, soaked overnight
1 cup Thai young coconut meat, chopped
200 ml condensed milk
1 mango, chopped
1. Wash and soak rice in water for at least an hour beforehand (I soaked overnight).
2. Heat a pot and add freshly crushed cardamom (seed only) in ghee. Once the cardamom is slightly toasted, add cream and soaked rice.
3. Keep stirring it on medium heat to let it reduce to half its quantity and then lower the heat and add soaked almonds and half of the chopped Thai young coconut meat.
4. Add condensed milk and keep stirring for another 15-20 mins.
5. Remove from heat, let it cool at room temperature and once cooled, chill in refrigerator.
6. Top it with some freshly chopped mango, remainder of the Thai young coconut meat before serving.
Kheer is also considered a nourishing food for new mamas. In which case, serve it warm, serve it plain (without the mango, coconut or almonds) and serve it often!